Monday, October 13, 2008

Garden

Friday night, we emptied the garden. It was suppose to snow on Saturday so we decided we better get everything out of the garden that we could. We picked tomatoes, zucchini, crockneck squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, watermelon and cantalope. Our kitchen table is completely covered in tomatoes and we also had about 10 cantalope. There are also tomatoe plants hanging in the garage with tons of green tomatoes on them still. Chad picked the two watermelon we had left in the garden, one was so huge, I told him to go weigh it. It weighed in at 41lbs. Needless to say we are going to need to take that bad boy to a party or eat it for a month!



Tonight I will be making a batch of marinara sauce out of all the tomatoes. I might have to throw in some zucchini in the sauce since we have so much of that left!

Lessons learned from this year's garden - 1)only plant one zucchini plant because there is only so much you can do with zucchini. Chad left a bag of zucchini hanging on the mailbox every week for the mail man, I would bring it to work once a week and we would find big bat sized zucchini hiding every week that I ended up just throwing away. 2) Maintain your tomatoe plants. Right when the tomatoes started growing really big this summer was when I found out I was pregnant and was not feeling well. So needless to say they were over grown monster plants intermingled with each other and impossible to pick the tomatoes. 3)Don't plant two types of cantalope next to each other, they cross pollinated and we didn't get what we wanted.

1 comment:

Sam and Jamie said...

Wow...I didn't even know your planted a garden. That water melon is impressive. I know someone that could eat that whole thing? UM