Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Old people. . .

Why is it when you are old you can say whatever you want and no one will stop you or put you in your place for saying something that some would consider RUDE?

So the other day my visiting teachers came over and one is my neighbor who is really old. She was assigned to me once I lost the baby because she too had lost a baby like 70years ago. So all she can talk to me about is the fact that we have both lost a baby. Every time she sees me she says "How are you doing? How are you doing physically? How are you doing emotionally?" at that point she puts her hand on my arm and tilts her head(you know the tilt of concern and pity!) EVERY TIME without fail!

Well then to top it off this month she criticizes my cleaning and housekeeping skills. She came over on Tuesday and Monday we had gone snowboarding and hadn't put away all our gear since it was still wet. I got home from work like 5min before she got there and so I will admit the house was a little cluttered.

As always she asked if there was anything she could do for me and I said no we were doing well. She said if you want me to clean your house I will. I said no that is alright we are fine - but thanks! Then as she was leaving she said you know once you have a baby you can't have your house like this! I didn't know what to say to that so I didn't say anything. I had a few choice words in my head that I wanted to say but since she is old I could not!

9 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

I can't wait until I'm old and can start saying rude things like that and get away with it. It will be awesome!

And PS. You're kind of needy with your comments =).

Kim said...

Gotta love them old folks!

The McCauley Family said...

Come on Jen clean up! You were the sloppiest roomie ever...not! Maybe she needs her eyes checked...glaucoma is more common in the elderly and maybe she was seeing shadows of things not there.

Jeanette said...

Look all I have to do is send an email to all my friends and say leave me lots of comments because I am so awesome and you do! See that is real love! I am not ashamed to beg for attention!

Love you guys!

Elder Alex Proctor said...

THAT is hilarious, I am sure you gracefully thanked her for her visit and slammed the door! :)

Jessica said...

So, I saw
this,
and immedately thought of your post.

Jeanette said...

That fits perfectly and explains so much!
A quote by an old person. . .
"I was always taught to respect my elders now I don't have anyone to respect!"

Patty said...

You gotta love that!! I'm sure it was hard not to "talk back"!! You have great self-control! Sounds like your having fun playing in the snow and running those lanes on the mountain. I can't believe your a snowboarder...so cool!!
I'm just starting our family blog--it's pulsipher7.blogspot.com I don't have any pictures up yet but I'll have Adam teach me a few things and I'll get some pictures up and going.

Tamara Atkin said...

That is hilarious. Next time just give her my address, I'll let her clean my house if she's got that much time on her hands.

Actually we just had a RS visiting teaching conference and they showed a video where the old ladies noticed a new mother's messy house, and then they noticed the picture of Christ on the wall and started cleaning up. Maybe she saw that video. Or maybe she's visited China recently. There you can insult and offend regardless of your age.

We should go snowboarding sometime. I went with Lisa last year, I would have invited you if I'd known you were around.